About Me

Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Leading A Legacy

We are called to be spiritual leaders in whatever sphere of influence we may live. Whether we are at school, at work, at home, on the soccer field, or at church, God calls us to be examples of those who believe. It is clear from this calling that God has a purpose for our being here and particularly for our leadership. As a result, I believe our leadership should move beyond influence to having a lasting spiritual impact by becoming spiritual leaders who are not trying to use their influence to get things done, but spiritual leaders who are willing to say with Paul, "follow me as I follow Christ." Our spiritual leadership should move from the level of impact to that of legacy as we intentionally pass on what we have received to those who come behind us, for the purpose of passing it on to others. God has called us all to use our influence for His kingdom, and not just use our influence, but to use it in a way that makes a lasting impact in peoples lives, an impact that is generational and leaves a legacy. He has given us clear principles for living that kind of life in His revelation of His own nature and character, the Bible.
The idea is simple. We have true spiritual influence in the lives of the people around us when we make Christ the only standard of excellence in our lives and we answer the call of God to be examples of what a believer should look like. However, that influence is short-lived and only has a lasting impact when people see us moving from where we are to where God wants us to be. That maturing process is marked by several characteristics. First, we must have integrity in our lives and in our relationships to others. Second, we must demonstrate insight into the purpose and plan of God. Third, our walk must be characterized by the nature and character of Christ as we give ourselves to being imitators of Christ. Finally, that walk should have an intensity to it that reflects the reality that we are engaged in a spiritual warfare of epic and eternal proportions. When our leadership takes on that quality and character, we are ready to lead generationally. That means that our influence will not only have impact, but it will leave a legacy of faithfulness long after we are gone.
One great test of leadership is how well a leader's legacy continues after they leave. Unless we are intentional about developing leaders, it will not happen. This is evident in the well-documented drop-out rates among Christian teens. Some seventy percent of students who grew up active in a student ministry in the United States over the past ten years have left the church without any real indication that they intend to return. These are our church kids, our core group. If we are not raising leaders for the next generation in our churches and in our Christian homes, then we are not going to leave a lasting spiritual legacy. Therefore, we are not fulfilling our role as spiritual leaders. One way that I try to be intentional about developing leaders is through personal discipleship. My primary role as a discipler is to be the primary spiritual influence in the lives of my children. My wife and I, with the help of our church, make an annual plan for the spiritual development of our children. We work to implement that plan each year and expand it as they grow and mature. The main focus is to prepare them to be spiritual leaders even when I am around.
I also work to maintain what is called a Barnabas, Paul, Timothy model of spiritual multiplication. The idea is to have a more mature believer who is mentoring me and speaking into my life spiritually. I like to have two or three of these because I need a lot of work. We do not always meet in a formal discipleship format, but these older men simply pour into me what they have been receiving from God in their own lives, and holding me accountable. In turn, I try to keep about three younger believers into whose life I am speaking. I try to disciple and mentor them. Some are more formal than others, but I mostly try to give them resources and pour into them what God has been pouring into me. That is why I see my life as investing in the lives of those who invest in the lives of others. It is because I believe so strongly in this spiritual multiplication process. This is the model of leadership throughout Scripture and the natural result of our becoming what God created and called us to be.

No comments: